Cycling Plus described the Country as 'the benchmark for affordable tourers'. The only thing the magazine suggested we changed were the 700x37 tyres for faster 700x32s. Done deal C. Plus.
- Proven Reynolds Chromoly steel frame.
- Compact geometry makes the frame laterally flex free - a desirable attribute in a touring bike built to carry loads.
- Fine wheels built on Shimano hubs (cassette rear) for reliability.
- Tektro cantilever brakes made specially for touring bikes with drop bars (they actually work better with drop bar brake levers than most Shimano cantilevers).
- As an alternative to squeezing the Shimano levers on the handlebar drops, you can apply the brakes while your hands are on the brake tops via the Tektro 2.0 'frog levers'. Unlike the cheapo 'safety' (sometimes called 'suicide') levers found on most drop bar bikes of the '70s and '80s, Tektro 'interrupter levers' (as they are also called) really do work without compromising braking efficiency.
- Full SKS mudguards.
- Alloy luggage rack.
- 'The benchmark for affordable tourers.
- 'With the panniers full to bursting the Country handles well in all departments, tyres secure on the tarmac, with no hint of shimmying through the perfectly aligned compact Reynolds frame.
- 'Brazed-on spoke holders on the left hand chainstay show its serious touring aspirations.
- 'Sora shifting is consistently true.
- If you want a touring bike but don't have much cash, the Country is a great place to start. Another winner from north of the border.
Cycling Plus: Christmas 2001.
Reynolds 520 TIG-welded butted CrMo steel with mudguard eyelets.
TIG welded steel with mudguard and Low Rider eyelets.
Rigida Zac 2000 alloy rims.
|Shimano C201 QR hubs.|
|Stainless steel spokes.|
|Tyres:||CST Traveller City Classic 700 x 32.|
Shimano Sora 24-speed STI Dual Control shifters.
Shimano Acera rear / 2203 front gears.
SunTour forged alloy chainset 28/38/48t with cartridge sealed bottom bracket.
|Shimano 11-30 cassette.|
|Alloy pedals with toeclips.|
Tektro Oryx cantilever brakes with Shimano Sora levers + Tektro 2.0 'Frog' levers.
ITM Europa anatomic bars. Black cork tape.
|Saddle:||Selle Italia FLX on alloy micro adjust seatpin.|
|Extras:||SKS full mudguards and rear alloy pannier rack.|
|Weight:||32.5lb / 14.8kg.|
S, M, L.
Gloss Midnight Blue.