Giro Feature MIPS Helmet
The Feature Helmet does indeed boast the key features of Giro's top-end Montaratrail lid, but at a more accessible price.
In particular, it brings the extra protection of MIPS to a lower price helmet.
Originally reserved for £100-plus lids, MIPS is probably the most significant upgrade in bike helmet technology since Giro introduced the original RocLoc occipital-wraparound fit belt in 1994.
What is MIPS? Check the video.
- MIPSmeans Multi-directional Impact Protection System.
- MIPS was developed by a team of Swedish brain surgeons and neurologists who tasked themselves with creating a better bicycle helmet dedicated to reducing the rotational acceleration forces to the brain in the event of an angled impact.
- In the capable hands of Giro, MIPS is a super-flexible low friction nylon head-hugging liner, designed to rotate inside the helmet in the event of an impact from any angle.
- MIPS thus helps reduce the resulting rotational energy being transfered to the head - rotational energy that could otherwise cause serious injury to the brain should it violently impact the inside of the skull in the event of a crash.
- MIPS therefore goes a long way to addressing the most frequent criticism of first generation helmets - that they are primarily designed to absorb the energy of a vertical head-on impact, and are less effective at saving you in the event of the type of angled impact, which is more likely to occur.
More Giro Feature Features
- Giro's In Form fit system works especially well with trail lids.
- It's exceptionally easy to fine tune the In Form fit belt via its ergo-dial at the base of the helmet which enables up to 6cm of fit adjustment on the fly - even with gloves on.
- A separate vertical tuning feature adjusts the fore / aft tilt of the helmet on your head to enhance peripheral vision and optimize the fit of the helmet with goggles.
- The chin strap is made with featherweight webbing with a Slimline™ buckle.
- Faster wicking, odour-resistant CoolMax pads.
- Giro's in-mould construction process fuses the outer shell with the impact-absorbing EPS liner.
- In-mould construction effectively reinforces the helmet - especially around the vents and ribs.
- Available in three sizes so you're more likely to achieve a perfect fit than you might with a one-size-fits-all lid: S (51-55cm), M (55-59cm), L (59-63cm).
- Very lightweight for a trail lid - 295g based on weighing a medium Giro Feature MIPS Helmet at Bike Co-op HQ in January 2016.
'The Feature boasts a low-profile shape with more coverage than traditional XC helmets, yet maintains a sleek and slim profile.
Strategically-placed vents radiate heat up and out when you're climbing at lower speeds and the single-piece In-Mould shell helps durability while keeping weight to a minimum.
When you're ready to drop-in, our rugged In-Form fit system offers one-handed fit and stability adjustment so you can dial-in the feel and focus on the trail ahead.'