Bell Draft MIPS Helmet
The Bell Draft makes MIPS-equipped road bike style helmets more affordable.
Originally reserved for 3-figure lids, MIPS is probably the most significant upgrade in bike helmet technology since the introduction of ErgoDial/RocLoc-style fit belts in 1994.
What is MIPS? Check the video.
- MIPSmeans Multi-directional Impact Protection System.
- MIPS was developed by a team of Swedish brain surgeons and neurologists who tasked themselves with creating a better bicycle helmet dedicated to reducing the rotational acceleration forces to the brain in the event of an angled impact.
- In the capable hands of Bell, MIPS is a super-flexible low friction nylon head-hugging liner, designed to rotate inside the helmet in the event of an impact from any angle.
- MIPS thus helps reduce the resulting rotational energy being transfered to the head - rotational energy that could otherwise cause serious injury to the brain should it violently impact the inside of the skull in the event of a crash.
- MIPS therefore goes a long way to addressing the most frequent criticism of first generation helmets - that they are primarily designed to absorb the energy of a vertical head-on impact, and are less effective at saving you in the event of the type of angled impact, which is more likely to occur.
More Bell Draft Features
- Road bike styling (no visor) but with extra rear coverage makes the Bell Draft a great all-rounder for any type of riding this side of DH and trials.
- Bell's in-mould construction process fuses the outer shell with the impact-absorbing EPS liner.
- In-mould construction effectively reinforces the helmet - especially around the vents and ribs.
- 18 long, extra wide vents help prevent overheating.
- A micro-dial on the back of the helmet's ErgoDial fit belt (which wraps round the circumference of your skull) makes it especially easy to achieve a snug comfortable fit.
- Unisize: 54-61cm.
- Manufacturer's published weight: 292g.
'With a fresh new shape and large air vents, Draft delivers advanced features and design at an incredible value. Its rounded, compact profile is a nod to modern road style. The ErgoDial fit system offers no-fuss comfort and fit. The Draft offers the option of MIPS (Multi-Directional Impact Protection System),which can provide an additional measure of protection in certain impacts. And the extended in-mold polycarbonate shell guarantees top-notch quality and construction. It all adds up to a smart choice for a wide range of riders.'