The lauded PRST frame and fork decked out with more affordable bits.
The Whyte PRST-1 was hailed by EVERY review we've read as the best cross country MTB ever. A bike that couldn't help but make you a better rider. Not only does it inspire expert riders, here was a bike whose neutral handling helped build off-road novices' confidence too.
The launching of a Shimano Deore-equipped Whyte PRST-1 for £100s of pounds less must therefore be this year's best news for intrepid off-road explorers. Deore offers 90% of the performance of Shimano XT for half the price.
- 4”-travel PRST-1 aluminium monocoque frame based on Marin's single-pivot Mt Vision.
- Lifetime guaranteed frame & fork bearings and linkages.
- With the linkages moving on lifetime-guaranteed bearings, the forks' construction is designed to be as reliable as the mainframe's.
- 4" travel front and rear.
- Plus Fours forks: ie 4-bar linkage forks. The lack of telescoping legs means no lower leg flex or stiction. Unlike a conventional fork, which moves up and down, the Plus Fours move up and back in a J shape so trail remains constant.
- For that final works'-bike trick feature, the Big Gripper dropouts combine the torsional advantage of oversized through-axles with the convenience of QRs.
'We new the springing system would be fine because the Marin MT Vision (also Whyte-penned) has also long excelled. But the Plus Fours, with their new dual spring, are a wonderful accompaniment. It is not until you shift back to a bike with a conventional fork that you realise just how much trail detritus is being absorbed by the Plus Four's smooth 4" action. It will impress experts and flatter novices with its ability to out-ride and out-turn nearly every other bike on the planet. Its performance rating is 95%.'
Write Your Own Review
Whyte PRST1 monocoque dual suspension with 4" travel. Fox Float R shock.
Plus Fours 4-bar linkage with Fox Vanilla R shock with dual rate spring
Mavic 221 rims.
|SRAM 9.0 disc hubs.|
|plain gauge stainless spokes.|
|Tyres:||IRC Notos tyres. Kevlar bead.|
Shimano Deore 27-speed Rapidfire Plus shifters.
Shimano XT rear / LX front gears.
Shimano Deore chainset 22/32/44.
Avid Single Digit 3 V-brakes & levers.
Answer XC 6061 riser bars & on Whyte 7˚-rise stem.
|Saddle:||SDG Comp Bel Air saddle on Whyte 350 x 27'2 seatpost sandblasted black|
15.5, 17, 19"