Frog Team Sky Tadpole
You can trust Frog to make a better balance bike.
The Frog Team Sky Tadpole is the perfect lightweight balance bike to get young children started on two wheels.
Frog are all about attention to detail. Just check the Tadpole's list of features.
- The strong, lightweight frame and fork keep the weight down.
- The handlebars and short-reach stem are also lightweight aluminium.
- Comfortable rubber grips make the bars especially comfortable to handle.
- The adult-bike-quality Tektro alloy rear V-brake is operated with a short-reach left-hand lever for smaller hands.
- Only fitting a rear brake (and no front) allows the youngster to learn how to apply the brake without the inherent risk of over-zealous, over-the-bars, front brake application.
- This V-brake is tucked out of the way below the frame's rear stay to avoid contact with the rider's feet.
- The alloy wheels are fitted with semi-smooth, easy-rolling 12.5x1.75-inch tyres.
- The 200mm-long alloy seatpost allows room for growth.
- The quick release seatpin binder facilitates easy saddle adjustments.
- The headset features a steering limiter.
- This innovation is based on the observation that early learners can lose control of their bikes if they oversteer (because they haven't learned not to).
- Riding with the handlebar's rotation set to a safe limit prevents this.
- Moreover, the steering limiter helps the rookie rider discover the basic life skill that steering is the key to correcting your balance on any two-wheeler.
- Suitable for riders aged from 2-3 years with a minimum inside leg of 31cm.
It’s generally recognised that practicing on a balance bike is the easiest way for a child to learn that fundamental life skill - riding a bike.
A balance bike has no pedals, cranks or chain. This means that the youngster learns how to steer and balance without fear of dunking their wee ankles on the pedals.
The absence of pointy chainrings makes the balance bike an intrinsically safer introduction to cycling. The absence of an oily chain makes the balance bike a cleaner initiation too.
Present a 2 or 3 years old with a balance bike and they almost always instinctively know what to do - jump on the saddle and scoot along the pavement, hobby horse style.
Once the youngster gains confidence, he or she can rest their feet on the wider chainstays and experience one of life’s most enduring pleasures, freewheeling (or, as Americans put it, just coasting along). If they need to slow down or stop, it’s equally instinctual for kids to realise when it’s time to get their feet back on the ground.
When it’s time for the youngster to graduate to the next level - their first bike with pedals - they’re already almost there. They can balance. They can steer. Pedalling is then a natural progression that the young rider quickly adapts to.
We obviously believe that balance bikes are an all-round good thing. Check them out and we’re sure you’ll agree. Enjoying life to the full is simply a matter of finding the right balance.
'We are a small British company dedicated to making cycling fun for children. We believe that the lighter the bike, the easier it is for children to learn to ride, and to enjoy it more as they progress. Many children's bikes on the market weigh nearly as much as the child! So we set about re-designing the kids' bike, sourcing a light but strong aluminium frame, and hand-picking components that offer a high performance without compromising the weight. The founders, Jerry and Shelley, are a couple who have 2 small children of their own – both keen cyclists. So they know something about what motivates children to get on their bikes! Since the first prototype arrived, the bikes have always been robustly tested by the children and all their friends.'
Write Your Own Review
|Frame||Aluminium 10cm / 4" Tadpole Frame|
|Head Set||Locking headset, 27mm|
|Brakes||(Rear only) Tektro Aluminium J310 Black. Mounted above the stay|
|Brake Levers||(Left only) Tektro Aluminium JL352-RS V Brake Lever Black|
|Length of top tube||318mm (horizontal distance from seat post to stem: 332mm)|
|Stem||Frog Bikes Aluminium 35mm Stem|
|Handle Bar||Frog Bikes Aluminium Little Handlebars Width 420mm|
|Grip||Frog Bikes Specific Locking Slim Grips|
|Saddle||Frog Bikes Saddle Size:201*136mm, Black, adjustable rails for better fit|
|Seat Post||200mm long aluminium 27.2 with Quick Release for easy adjustment|
|Rim||Aluminium 12" x 1.5" 16 holes Black|
|Hubs||Aluminium 16 holes|
|Tyres||Kenda 12.5" x 1.75" hybrid tyres|
|Tubes||Kenda 12.5" x 1.75" with Schrader Valves|
|Rear Reflector||Red reflector hangs from saddle rails|