Tacx Neo Smart Trainer T2800
Tacx took a clean slate approach to create a Direct Drive trainer without belts, flywheels or rollers.
The result? The Neo Smart T2800 is the most powerful, the most realistic and the most silent Tacx trainer ever, as described in their own video.
- The Tacx Neo harnesses the power of 32 neodymium magnets to generate up to 2,000 Watts resistance and create a more realistic ride experience.
- Simulates riding up to 25% gradients.
- The harder you pedal, the greater the resistance.
- Smart - customisable to your needs.
- The trainer comes with a Bluetooth Smart, ANT+ and FEC interface. The trainer automatically communicates in all signals and can therefore be easily connected to a tablet, smartphone or GPS computer to have your training data in view.
- Using a tablet makes interactive training possible: e.g. with training programmes or videos
- Free Tacx Cycling app can be downloaded in the App Store or Google play Store (compatible from iPad 3, iPhone 4s or from Android 4.3) free training with display of speed, cadence, heart rate and performance via Tacx Cycling app.
- Interactive training with Real Life videos (demo video Mont Faron, Toulon, France included, special Tacx Real Life videos for tablets can be purchased via Cycling app).
- Compatible with training app and software Zwift, Kinomap, TrainerRoad, BKool.
- Compatible with Garmin 520 (use the GPS as a controller or ride a saved route.
- Can also be used without tablet, smartphone or interface.
- Can be used with or without power connection.
- Plug the Neo in to the power socket and the trainer simulates descents.
- Unplugged, the Neo works just like the Tacx Bushido.
- The NEO has a universal EDCO Multisys body that fits all Shimano and SRAM cassettes, and most Campagnolo cassettes. Whether it fits depends on the amount of cut-outs inside the cassette. (Campagnolo cassettes with 8 cut-outs, like the 10 speed Veloce, won't fit.)
- The optional Tacx Upgrade kit T2990 allows connecting the trainer to a PC, so that you can enjoy the full extent of training-supporting programmes and the virtual Tacx world via the Tacx Trainer 4 Advanced software and a push-button control unit.
'The NEO Smart offers the best in power and intelligence and is the quietest indoor trainer currently available on the market. The lack of any physical transmissions means this is the first true direct drive. Road feel is simulated in a highly realistic manner, there is no loss of power. The powerful motor is able to apply resistance up to 2200 Watt and simulate slopes realistically up to 25%. It also speeds up during descents. This ensures the most realistic cycling experience, also during climbs.
The lack of any physical transmission, and in turn any parts that could rattle or rub against each other, ensures this trainer is extremely quiet. In addition, this trainer requires no calibration and suffers no wear and tear. Just like other Smart trainers, the NEO communicates using ANT+ and Bluetooth Smart, allowing it to be connected quickly and easily with Tacx apps. Performance data can be viewed on several devices simultaneously, including your smartphone, bike computer and sports watch.
When the NEO Smart isn't connected to a smartphone, tablet or computer, it behaves as a fluid trainer. This means the trainer behaves progressively: when your speed increases, the resistance increases as well. So it is possible to use this trainer in a "stand-alone” status. Furthermore, the Tacx NEO features Plug in/Plug out technology and can therefore be used with and without a plug. When the plug is not in use, the trainer will act as a wireless motor brake. This means the trainer will be not be able to speed up during descents. So you can use this trainer anytime and anywhere, even when you don't have your smartphone with you.
The operating principle represents direct drive technology in its purest form. Any physical transmissions such as belts, rollers or wheels have been omitted in order to ensure optimum power efficiency, from the pedal to the motor. Thanks to an uninterrupted power flow, you won't lose a single bit of output or power.
A virtual flywheel dynamically controls the brake force. This means that the resistance is calculated and adjusted continually to simulate natural road resistance. Whereas other trainers use a flywheel to pass the dead centre, the NEO uses calculations to predict the movements of the bike and simulate the action of a flywheel. The inclusion of FAST technology means the NEO carries out a 1000 calculations per second to predict the rider's movement. The virtual flywheel can generate a variable inertia effect, allowing it to simulate the bike movements of all cyclists up to a specific bodyweight (125 kg max.) in a highly accurate manner.
When calculating the brake resistance required, all physical formulas a cyclist encounters on the road are applied to create a situation that is as realistic as possible. Air and rolling resistance, gradient percentage, weight, air pressure, wind speed, temperature, altitude, inertia and brake properties are all taken into account and calculated hundreds of times per second to achieve a realistic feel.
The direct drive is equipped with an LED light, which changes colour in response to your power. If your power output is high, the light turns red. If you are cycling at a low power output, the light is blue.
No cadence sensor is used to determine the cadence. As mentioned previously, the NEO performs a thousand measurements per second in order to predict the bike's movements. The sine modulation of the bike's movement is used to determine the cadence and the power output.'
Edinburgh Bicycle support recycling electrical equipment.