Specialized S-Works Prevail II Helmet
Living up to its slogan 'let cooler heads prevail' this lighter weight (202g) 34-vent road bike helmet thoroughly justifies the claim, professionally proven.
It's multi-density EPS (expanded polystyrene) shell's Aramid-reinforced matrix reinforcement allows Specialized to create a super-vented lid that brings us close to helmet heaven - i.e. a lid that fits so well, you’re barely aware you're wearing it.
Watch Specialized's S-Works Prevail video
- Dual Density shell - the Specialized Prevail II employs a lighter weight lower density EPS liner on the top of the helmet where the larger surface area can absorb more impact, while the intrinsically more vulnerable sides of the helmet are constructed in a higher density foam to strengthen it against whacks
- This Dual Density shell is reinforced with an Aramid (Kevlar-like) Inner Matrix skeleton
- Combining the Dual Density EPS foam with the Aramid Inner Matrix minimises the material required to manufacture the Prevail Helmet
- This reinforcement minimises the helmet's weight without compromising the helmet's integrity
- Gutter Action brow pad design (a small gap between the brow pad and the front of the helmet) further enhances comfort and sweat management
- 4th Dimension Cooling System with Mega Mouthport, deep internal channels, massive vents and aligned exhaust ports helps you keep your cool
- The Mindset II fit belt's tactile and audible dial adjuster ensures a precise and secure fit for all head shapes and sizes
- Specialized's Instrap system means that the webbing straps are secured to the Inner Matrix at 4 points
- The Instrap system should never pull or twist as can happen with lesser lids
- The Instrap system minimises strap length
- The Instrap system maximises rider comfort by minimising the strap's contact with your face
- The Instrap system's thin, soft and lightweight DryLite webbing straps repel water
- The Tri-Fix web splitter enhances comfort and makes it easier to adjust the straps
- Reflective decals for increased visibility in low-light condition
- Supplied with low profile clip-on visor and spare set of wicking pads.
- Only 202g - we weighed a Specialized S-Works Prevail II Helmet in medium at Bike Co-op HQ in December 2016
'The S-Works Prevail II is the most complete lightweight race helmet we've ever made. It combines incredible ventilation with superlative aerodynamic design and an ultra-lightweight construction in order to achieve the best all-around performance available on the market today. '
‘The Prevail is the only helmet that feels more aero while allowing you to keep your eyes where they belong, down the road. The Prevail is light, cool and comfortable. It does all those things incredibly well, but what makes the helmet truly exceptional is the fact that it is just plain fast.’
'The new Mindset internal fit system is fantastic. I really like the one-handed adjustability of it. You can also adjust how far down the back of your head the Mindset sits. (Or conversely, how far down your brow the front of the helmet reaches). This is especially handy for fall and winter when you’ll have a hat on underneath your helmet.
The other improvement over past Specialized lids is the abbreviate nature of the Mindset. In the past, they wrapped all the way around the head. The forehead part always dug in to my head. This is now a thing of the past. Well done, Specialized.
To save weight, the straps are thinner and there is no adjustability on their junction under the ears. Specialized calls it its Tri-Fix strap arrangement. I was initially worried about the lack of strap adjustability. I’m picky about how straps fall around my ears. But the Prevail was extremely comfortable and the Tri-Fix places them well below the ear'.