The 2004 Hardrock Sport offers the same quality frame and components as the '03 version which picked up a Gold Award (9/10 for performance and value) in the March/April 2003 issue of WhatMountainBike magazine?
'The Hardrock range is super modern in design. The chunky top and down tubes taper from elliptical to almost box section at the headtube and there's a sleek yet substantial gusset adding strength to the head and downtube area... It looks almost as good as the top end £500 Hardrock Pro.... We were expecting the components to suffer to keep the bike profitable, but somehow Specialized have managed to fit a Shimano Acera derailleur and an 8-speed Altus shifter set , plus RST forks.
On the whole the Hardrock is a great choice for under £300. The frame is its biggest asset which will see you through many years of 2-wheel action. Plus there's huge potential for component changes in the future so you can simply upgrade when parts wear out.
Verdict. A top class frame and components, gagging for upgrading in future.
- Manipulated A1 aluminium frame with 3D box head and down tube.
- RST Gila forks.
- Alex rims with real Shimano rear freehub - such reliability is rare on this price of bike.
- TruVativ cranks - strong and hard wearing.
- Shimano EZ Fire gear shifters - so smooth.
- Mobius stem - real funky.
- Respectable name-brand Tektro V-brakes.
- Specialized Enduro tyres - fat, meaty and with Flak Jackets - Kevlar puncture protection that really works.
- Specialized Body Geometry saddle - deservedly the most popular saddle in the western world.
Write Your Own Review
A1 enhanced aluminium - disc compatible.
RST Gila T4 suspension. 100mm travel. Adjustable preload. Coil/mcu sprung.
Alex alloy rims.
|Shimano rear QR freehub, Joy Tech alloy front QR hub.|
|Stainless steel spokes.|
|Tyres:||Specialized Enduro 26 x 2.2".|
Shimano EZ-Fire 24-speed shifters.
|Shimano Acera gears.|
|TruVativ ISP-Flow alloy chainset with CrMo rings.|
Alloy 38mm rise bars on Specialized Mobius stem.
|Saddle:||Specialized Body Geometry Sport saddle on micro-adjust post.|
|Weight:||31lb / 14kg.|
13, 15, 17, 19, 21"