Ortlieb Rear Roller Classic Hi-Viz QL2.1 Panniers
A worthy Eurobike 2013 Gold Award Winner, this version of the Ortlieb Rear Roller Classic boasts a high-visibility yellow main panel with four retro-reflective stripes. Covering almost half the outer panel of each bag, these four reflective stripes are no afterthought. They're a key part of the design.
Even without this inspired attention-grabbing reflective detail, Ortlieb Rear Roller Classic Panniers are regularly rated, the best money can buy.
One of the reasons this remains the case more than a quarter century since their introduction is because, while the design of their Roller Panniers remains fundamentally the same, Ortlieb never miss an opportunity to introduce improvements, such as upgrading them with the QL2.1 version of their famous Quick Lock rack attachment system.
Robust QL (Quick Lock) rack hooks are a stand-out Ortlieb pannier feature. They offer total security – these panniers will never jump off the rack - yet their easy-on easy-off action is so intuitive and effort free, one of our customers was moved to described it as “so simple, it’s like witchcraft”.
The benefit of the QL2.1 version is that it can be set up (no tools required) to adapt to an even wider variety of rear rack configurations and dimensions than the original QL1 system. Coming with inserts, the pannier hooks can fit racks with 8, 10, 12 or 16mm top rails, as described in Ortlieb's own video.
This video perfectly illustrates how Ortieb's QL hooks tenaciously secure each bag to the rear rack, yet offer instant release - simply by lifting the bag upwards by its handle.
More good things about Ortlieb Back-Roller Panniers
- Robust hard-wearing Cordura fabric with 100% waterproof pu laminated finish.
- High frequency welded construction - no stitch holes further ensure Ortlieb bags are 100% waterproof.
- Roll-top closure (hence the name Roller Pannier) - by rolling up the top of the bag three times and securing it with a buckle, water won't get into this bag - even if you drop the pannier in a lake.
- Each pannier's simple one-compartment construction contributes to its waterproofness.
- Also, single compartment bags like these Back-Rollers can hold more (compartmentalising a bag effectively reduces its usable space).
- Shop tip: if you want to organise your luggage, use dry sacks.
- Shoulder straps make these bags more portable off the bike.
- Large 3M retro-reflective triangle patches on the front and rear of each pannier further help ensure you are seen.
- Ortlieb Rear Roller Classic Hi-Viz QL2.1 Panniers are supplied as a pair.
- Each pannier is 42cm high x 23-32cm wide x 17cm deep (16.5 x 9-12.5 x 6.7 inches) = approx 20 litre capacity.
- Weight: 1,900g per pair - based upon weighing Ortlieb Rear Roller Classic Hi-Viz QL2.1 Panniers at Bike Co-op HQ in September 2015.
- Be aware that cycling equipment specifications can change without notice so please regard our published weights as an honest but approximate guide.
- For the full Ortlieb story, visit our blog.