This might seem like a strange post since I am, in a way, asking you to support a ‘competitor’. Bear with me, though – it’s not as mad as it might seem.
As you may know, we are the UK’s oldest worker’s co-operative bicycle retailer. We opened in 1977, founded by seven friends (two of whom are still here) with the aim of offering everyone in Edinburgh easier access to cycling. Since then we have expanded into five more cities, Aberdeen, Newcastle, Leeds, Sheffield and Manchester.
Now, at roughly the same time, in almost exactly the same way, Brixton Cycles set up in South London. Equally committed to collectivism, Brixton Cycles was set up after the riots of 1981, in the belief that cycling can make the world a happier, healthier and more environmentally sustainable place; and that bicycles are not merely sports equipment, they are tools of empowerment and societal change.
However, our friends at Brixton Cycles Co-op are being forced to leave their current location, due to their building being torn down to make way for luxury flats. Rising rents forced them to move once before, in 2001, which cost the business more than £80,000. The figure is expected to be far greater on this occasion, and it’s simply too much for them to bear alone.
So Brixton Cycles is launching an all out, last-blast, all-or-nothing crowdfunding campaign to raise £40,000 to go towards moving costs. We’re donating, and we’d love it if you did too.
We believe that grassroots co-ops are as important now as they were thirty years ago; all of us believe life’s better by bike.
Please, pledge through #SaveBrixtonCycles Crowdfunding Page .
MD Edinburgh Bicycle Co-operative
- £1000 – Gold Medal Holder
Exclusive one-on-one wheel building and bike maintenance lessons, held over two evenings; four free services and 10% off parts and accessories for two years; a screenprint by Suzi Kemp; a place on a track induction day hosted by BC; an invitation to the launch party for our new shop; a SaveBC t-shirt and cap, and your name on wall of the new shop
- 500 – Silver Medal Holder
Two free services and 10% off parts and accessories for a year; a place on a track induction day; invitation to launch party; a SaveBC t-shirt and cap; and your name on the wall of our new shop.
- £350 – Bronze Medal Holder
Two free services and 10% off parts and accessories for a year; invitation to launch party at their new shop; a SaveBC t-shirt; and your name on the wall of the new shop.
- Pledge £200 and receive an exclusive invitation to a track induction day at Herne Hill Velodrome, hosted by Brixton Cycles. (followed by drinks with the team!) You’ll also get an invite to the launch party for the new shop, a special-edition t-shirt, an exclusive Made in Brixton: Staying in Brixton cycling cap and your name on the wall of the new shop.
- Pledge £100 and get a hand-numbered, signed copy limited edition A3 print, plus your name on the wall of the new shop.
- Pledge £75 and get a personal history tour of Brixton’s heritage with Brixton natives from the BC team (finishing in a local pub!) You’ll also get your name on the wall of the new shop.
- Pledge £30 and get your hands on an exclusive white tee featuring Suzi Kemp’s awesome ‘Made in Brixton: Staying in Brixton’ design, including a custom stamp inside the nape of the shirt, signifying your part in the crowdfunding campaign. You’ll also get your name on the wall of their new shop.
- Pledge £20 and you’ll get an exclusive new cycling cap, celebrating Brixton Cycles’ heritage… and you’ll also get your name on the wall of their new shop.
- Pledge £10 and you’ll get your name on the wall of their new shop (or the name of someone you’d like to pay tribute to).
FIND OUT MORE:
- Visit Brixton Cycles website
- Pledge through their Crowdfunding Page
- Read more about the campaign in Brixton Buzz
- Read about Brixton Cycles history in the Guardian
- Visit Brixton Cycles Facebook site, #SaveBrixtonCycles
- Follow the campaign on Twitter @save_bc #SaveBrixtonCycles
- Brixton Cycles are at 145 Stockwell Road, London SW9 9TN. t: 0207 733 6055