CamelBak are famed for inventing the reservoir in a rucsac concept in the early 1990s. Back then, a Camelbak’s ability to hold up to three litres of water was revolutionary. This innovation banished anxiety that you would run out of drink on near-any day ride you might go this side of the Sahara.
CamelBak Skyline LR 10 £109.99
CamelBaks were especially prized by mountain bikers. Hands-free hydration meant you no longer had to choose between taking a hand off the handlebars to grab a bottle when you needed a drink, and keeping both hands on the bars to maintain control on technical trails. What’s more, with the CamelBak tube’s bite valve located at chest level, it was far more likely to remain crud-free than the nozzle of a cage-mounted water bottle.
With all this going for the CamelBak, it was little wonder that it was voted ‘Innovation of the Decade’ in a Bicycling magazine poll back then. However, as with any innovation, some excellent imitations came along and CamelBak was no longer the only show in hydration city.
CamelBak Solstice LR 10 Women’s £109.99
CamelBak have responded to all this competition in the best way possible. They went back to their mountain bike roots and developed a new range of packs labelled LR.
LR means Low Rider. A CamelBak Low Rider pack boasts the following features:
- The reservoir and gear storage compartments are located lower down, closer to hip level
- Lowering the pack’s centre of gravity maximises comfort, stability and freedom of movement
- Low Rider also makes for a less sweaty back
- Every LR Pack (with the exception of the Palos) comes with CamelBak’s latest Crux Lumbar Reservoir, which delivers 20% more water per sip
- Compression webbing maintains the reservoir’s low, stable position – even as it gets lighter with every sip you take over the course of the ride
- The Magnetic Tube Trap keeps the drink tube’s bite valve secure and ever accessible
- The integrated tool roll gives you the means to always go out prepared
- Every BPA/BPS/BPF-free Camelbak reservoir is made to exacting standards in their own factory – the only one in the world that is dedicated to producing lifetime guaranteed hydration reservoirs
- The padded, vented, ergonomic back panel and shoulder straps ensure every CamelBak pack is comfortable to carry, and light on the back – even at the start of the ride when the reservoir is full to the brim
- While they’re largely viewed as ‘a mountain bike thing’ there’s nothing to stop you your carrying your water and gear in a CamelBak when road riding, hiking or whatever
To see two CamelBak LR packs in action watch the Solstice/Skyline video: