Giro Savant Helmet Mips
Now with Mips to maximise your head protection, this latest version of the super-cool Giro Savant is a wiser choice than ever.
What is Mips? check the video.
- Mipsmeans Multi-directional Impact Protection System.
- Mips was developed by a team of Swedish brain surgeons and neurologists who tasked themselves with creating a better bicycle helmet dedicated to reducing the rotational acceleration forces to the brain in the event of an angled impact.
- In the capable hands of Giro, Mips is a super-flexible low friction nylon head-hugging liner, designed to rotate inside the helmet in the event of an impact from any angle.
- Mips thus helps reduce the resulting rotational energy being transfered to the head - rotational energy that could otherwise cause serious injury to the brain should it violently impact the inside of the skull in the event of a crash.
- Mips therefore goes a long way to addressing the most frequent criticism of first generation helmets - that they are primarily designed to absorb the energy of a vertical head-on impact, and are less effective at saving you in the event of the type of angled impact, which is more likely to occur.
The Savant Helmet Mips in Giro's own words
'AUTHENTIC STYLE, MIPS TECHNOLOGY AND UNMATCHED VALUE
The Savant™ MIPS is an amazing fit for riders who enjoy great routes as much as a swift pace. The slim shape combines impressive ventilation thanks to 25 Wind Tunnel vents, and the comfortable convenience of the adjustable Roc Loc 5 fit and stability system. And with MIPS technology, the Savant MIPS offers an added measure of protection in certain impacts. All Giro helmets are designed to reduce as much energy as possible while meeting and exceeding stringent safety standards. The goal of Giro's MIPS-equipped helmets is to reduce rotational forces. Giro believes that helmets equipped with this technology can reduce the amount of rotational force that may be transferred to rider's brain in certain impacts.'
More about the Giro Savant Mips Helmet
According to Collins English Dictionary, a Savant is a sage or a person of great learning. It certainly is an act of wisdom to invest in such a streamlined and well-ventilated helmet - especially one that now features Mips - arguably the most advanced bicycle helmet technology.
- You can tell from its sleek styling and multiple vents that the Giro Savant is a road bike design.
- Like any road bike lid, the Giro Savant is fine for any type of riding: leisure, commuting, fast or slow.
- Giro's In-mould construction process fuses the outer shell with the impact-absorbing EPS liner.
- In-mould construction effectively reinforces the helmet - especially around the vents and ribs.
- This reinforcement allows Giro to super-cool the Savant with 25 Wind Tunnel vents.
- Sizes: S (51-54cm), M (55-59cm), L (59-63cm).
- Weight: 249g - based upon weighing one small size Giro Savant Helmet Mips at Bike Co-op HQ in March 2015.
- Be aware that cycling equipment specifications can change without notice so please regard our published weights as an honest but approximate guide.
- To ensure the best possible fit, the Giro Savant features the most advanced version of RocLoc - arguably the greatest advance in bike helmet technology up till the development of Mips.
- See also the equally feature filled Giro Sonnet Mips women's helmet.
After more than two-years of development, Giro introduces Roc Loc 5. This groundbreaking fit system provides an entirely unique user experience with an unmatched level of comfort, stability, adjustability and weight savings. With Roc Loc 5, you can easily dial-in both fit tension and adjust vertical position with a single hand. Just twist the dial for a tighter feel on rough terrain, then back it off a notch and relax across the flats or a warm climb. Even with these remarkable features, Roc Loc 5 is still nearly 40-percent lighter than its popular predecessor, Roc Loc 4.
- Micro Dial: The heart of Roc Loc 5 is this ratcheting, micro-adjusting dial.
- A simple, two-finger twist of the Micro Dial opens or closes the retention system and each click is audible.
- Three-Position Bracket: It’s never been easier to change vertical positions and fine-tune fit. We incorporated a three-position bracket that features 15-millimeters of up/down movement. Like the Micro Dial, this system can be adjusted without removing the helmet.
- Carefully-crafted ergonomic arms are shaped to be as comfortable as possible.
- Dual Pods: These two panels are designed to firmly grasp the back of your head while comfortably cradling the occipital lobe.
- Strap Baskets: With Roc Loc 5, your helmet straps are always right where you need them. Not to mention this strap basket brings a new level of comfort.'