Giro Foray MIPS Helmet
With its 21-vent Wind Tunnel cooling and its RocLoc 5 fit, the Giro Foray offers 3-figure road bike helmet technology for road riders on a 2-figure budget.
Most impressive of all, it brings the extra protection of MIPS to a lower price helmet.
Originally reserved for £100-plus lids, MIPS is probably the most significant upgrade in bike helmet technology since Giro launched RocLoc - the original occipital-wraparound fit belt - in 1994.
What is MIPS? Check the video.
- MIPSmeans Multi-directional Impact Protection System.
- MIPS was developed by a team of Swedish brain surgeons and neurologists who tasked themselves with creating a better bicycle helmet dedicated to reducing the rotational acceleration forces to the brain in the event of an angled impact.
- In the capable hands of Giro, MIPS is a super-flexible low friction nylon head-hugging liner, designed to rotate inside the helmet in the event of an impact from any angle.
- MIPS thus helps reduce the resulting rotational energy being transfered to the head - rotational energy that could otherwise cause serious injury to the brain should it violently impact the inside of the skull in the event of a crash.
- MIPS therefore goes a long way to addressing the most frequent criticism of first generation helmets - that they are primarily designed to absorb the energy of a vertical head-on impact, and are less effective at saving you in the event of the type of angled impact, which is more likely to occur.
More Giro Foray Features
- Road bike styling - the Giro Foray's low profile and its lack of visor means this helmet won't obstruct your vision when you look ahead when riding low on the drops - as can happen if you wear a mountain bike lid.
- Faster wicking, odour-resistant CoolMax pads.
- Bell's in-mould construction process fuses the outer shell with the impact-absorbing EPS liner.
- In-mould construction effectively reinforces the helmet - especially around the vents and ribs.
- Available in three sizes so you're more likely to achieve a perfect fit than you might with a one-size-fits-all lid: S (51-55cm), M (55-59cm), L (59-63cm).
- Giro's RocLoc 5 micro-adjustable retention system allows both lateral and vertical adjustment and ensures the Foray fits like a glove.
This is how Giro describe their amazing RocLoc 5 retention system.
- 'After more than two-years of development, Giro introduces Roc Loc 5. This groundbreaking fit system provides an entirely unique user experience with an unmatched level of comfort, stability, adjustability and weight savings. With Roc Loc 5, you can easily dial-in both fit tension and adjust vertical position with a single hand. Just twist the dial for a tighter feel on rough terrain, then back it off a notch and relax across the flats or a warm climb. Even with these remarkable features, Roc Loc 5 is still nearly 40-percent lighter than its popular predecessor, Roc Loc 4.
- Micro Dial: The heart of Roc Loc 5 is this ratcheting, micro-adjusting dial. A simple, two-finger twist of the Micro Dial opens or closes the retention system and each click is audible.
- Three-Position Bracket: It's never been easier to change vertical positions and fine-tune fit. We incorporated a three-position bracket that features 15-millimeters of up/down movement. Like the Micro Dial, this system can be adjusted without removing the helmet.
- Carefully-crafted ergonomic arms are shaped to be as comfortable as possible.
- Dual Pods: These two panels are designed to firmly grasp the back of your head while comfortably cradling the occipital lobe.
- Strap Baskets: With Roc Loc 5, your helmet straps are always right where you need them. Not to mention this strap basket brings a new level of comfort.'
'Sleek and Stylish
Foray drafts off the bold design language of our premium Synthe helmet, and offers many of our key features including durable In-Mold Construction and the Roc Loc® 5 fit system with two-way fit adjustment. The slim design is very light, offers great ventilation and is available in three Super Fit sizes so that you can get a helmet that looks, fits and feels like it was made for you.
Wind Tunnel Ventilation
Giro helmets are developed utilizing our proprietary Wind Tunnel ventilation system. This elaborate design combines active vents
in the helmet's shell with exhaust channels inside the helmet that thrust fresh, cool air over and around the rider's head while forcing heat and stale air out. It's the most effective cooling system available, and a difference you can feel every time you ride.'