Fulcrum Racing 7 Wheelset
For 2015, the Fulcrum Racing 7 Wheels have gained slightly wider rims to make them more suitable for 700x25 tyres.
Upgrading the stock wheels with a system built wheelset like Fulcrum Racing 7 is the most significant improvement you can make on your road bike. The reduction in lateral flex and the resulting improvement in power transfer is something you'll notice every time you climb, sprint or accelerate.
- Fulcrum 2:1 Spoke Ratio rear wheel: 16 spokes on the drive side, 8 spokes on the left hand side.
- Reinforcing the drive side makes the whole wheel design more rigid, so you get more power and speed from your pedalling input.
- With the spoke tension more evenly balanced between drive and non-drive sides, less stress is put on the rim, hub and spokes so these components should last much longer.
- The rear hub's oversized drive-side flange enables the use of shorter spokes for maximum torsional stiffness - the key to enhanced reactivity, hence faster acceleration, when you push down on the cranks.
- Superior quality steel balls on sealed cylindrical bearings for smooth spinning, consistent performance and longevity.
- Rim wear indicator for safety.
- The rear freehub is compatible with 9/10/11-speed Shimano cassettes..
- Manufacturer's published weight: 945g rear, 815g front, not including skewers.
'2:1 Two-to-One Spoke Ratio
When you push on the pedals, the rotational force on the sprocket induces a slackening of the freewheel spokes with a consequent loss of rim tension. This results in undesirable flex of the whole wheel and an unavoidable loss of energy. Fulcrum® has solved this classic cycling problem with its 2:1 Two-to-One™ Spoke Ratio patent, by doubling the spokes in the critical zones.
As a result there are two spokes which carry out the function of one, slackening and torsion are limited and the transfer of the athlete’s power is much more effective.
Also, thanks to this system, spoke tensions are balanced more evenly between drive and non-drive sides and the fatigue life of the rim, hub and spokes is lengthened.'
The Benefits of Pre-Built 'System Wheels' such as Fulcrum Racing 7
Whether you are looking for more immediate flex-free power transfer, bomb-proof quality or super light weight, fitting a set of system wheels is one of the most profound improvements you can make to a bicycle.
For over a hundred years, the ability to build a bicycle wheel tight, strong and true has been rightly regarded as one of the pinnacles of the bicycle mechanic's craft. If you want your choice of rim, hub and spokes hand built for you into a wheel you can rely upon for years and years, our Service Centres(we have one in every branch) will be delighted to oblige.
Since Mavic pioneered complete 'system wheels' in the 1990s (followed by companies such as Shimano and Fulcrum) superior bicycle wheels have become readily available off the shelf.
The benefit of a system wheel is that the manufacturer can design the best wheel possible at that price without being obliged to make any compromises. (Compare this with the situation where, say, Mavic make a rim, they have to second guess how it will work with the vast array of spokes and hubs on the market.) With a wheel system, the manufacturer takes complete control of all the elements that go into the creation of a quality wheel - lacing pattern, spoke count, spoke thickness, spoke tension, rim width, hub flange size....
Furthermore, they can integrate the drilling patterns of both the hub and the rim with the bend and thickness of the spokes to ensure each spoke nestles perfectly in place and thus minimise stress on the spoke holes. Designing the rear wheel from scratch enables offset spoke lacing patterns that minimise 'dishing', and hence creates a stronger wheel. The manufacturer can reinforce the hub and rim or shave weight where appropriate depending whether the wheel is going to be used with a rim or a hub brake. They can create a complete range of wheels from the lightest weight to the absolute strongest with numerous options in between.
The end result is a wheel that you can argue is 'beyond hand built' quality yet, thanks to the economies of scale enjoyed by companies such as Mavic, Fulcrum and Shimano, one of these system wheels need not be significantly more expensive than a hand-built wheel made with a similar quality hub, rim and spokes.