The Edinburgh Country is our version of one the best ideas in bicycling - the touring bike.
This 2001 version is our bold new take on that time-proven idea in that it features recent cycling innovations such as Dual Control shifters, and it doesn't come in racing green. The frame is built with Reynolds butted steel tubing - the number one choice with intrepid cyclists for 70 years - but with a sloping top tube. Pioneered on mountain bikes, the compact sloping top tube frame is acknowledged as the way to go by most road bikes experts too. (Who are we to argue with advocates of compact bikes - Mike Burrows, Richard Ballantine and Bianchi - to name only those bicycle boffins whose surname starts with the letter B?) Everything else being equal, a compact frame is stiffer (shorter tubes flex less), lighter, easier to jump on and off, and has a lower centre of gravity. Who doesn't want that on a cargo-carrying bicycle fit to go round the world?
- Reynolds 520 butted Chromoly steel frame - the perfect blend of lively feel, comfort and cargo-handling reliability.
- Chromoly fork with investment cast crown - Custom Low Rider compatible.
- ITM Europa drop handlebars - the ultimate in multi hand-position versatility - on a forged alloy stem.
- Stout wheels - Rigida Zac rims on Shimano C201 hubs. 700 x 37 Schwalbe tyres - fast rolling but wide enough to offer cushioning when the open road becomes no road.
- Cantilever brakes with loads of clearance for full length mudguards (fitted).
- Dual Control gear shifters integrated into the brake levers so you can shift gear without taking your hands off the bars.
- 4-point fitting rack - a smart design with an extra 'dog leg' strut to prevent your pannier getting sucked into the wheel.
Write Your Own Review
Reynolds 520 butted chromoly
Chromoly with investment cast crown - Low Rider compatible
Rigida Zac 2000 rims
Shimano C201 quick release hubs
|Schwalbe Speedpower 700 x 37 tyres|
Shimano Sora 24-spd Dual Control shifters
Shimano Sora rear gear, Shimano Acera front gear
|Shimano C201 crank 28/38/48 - higher geared than a compact ATB chainset|
Alloy pedals with toeclips and straps
|Shimano 11-30 cassette|
Shimano cantilevers with Shimano Sora levers
ITM Europa drop bars with forged alloy stem
|Saddle:||Selle Italia FLX saddle|
Alloy micro-adjust seatpin
|Extras:||Full-length mudguards, 4-point fitting Bor Yueh rack|
49, 53, 57, 59 & 64cm (Sizes corrected to allow for compact frame geometry. The actual seat tube lengths are 43, 46, 49, 52, 55cm)