The Coast is Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op's fantastic-value example of a women's-specific hybrid bike with 26" wheels. Of all the styles of bike available, the 26"-wheeled hybrid is the fastest growing. Why? Because it's the perfect all-round bike for any terrain a sane person would want to cycle. (If you're not so sane, we will happily point you to a 10"-travel full-suspension downhill bike.)
- The Edinburgh Coast is built on the same aluminium frame as our famous women's-specific Cadence MTB (mountain bike).
- Unlike any production MTB, the bike comes ready equipped with full length mudguards to protect you from rain-splash.
- The 26 x 1.9" tyres might be mountain bike width, but they're the semi-slick variety so there's less rolling resistance. This equates to less effort when you ride along the road, yet there's still plenty cushioning and grip for riding defined tracks.
- The handlebars are higher than a typical mountain bike's. This puts less strain on the back and the wrists and makes it easier to look around and take in the view. Correct handlebar position is crucial for comfort so we spec an adjustable stem. This makes it easy to fine-tune the handlebar height till it's just right.
- The comfort theme continues with the anti-compression saddle on the suspension seatpost.
- The 21-speed Shimano EZ Fire gears are as easy to use as they sound, and they help take the sting out of climbing hills.
The aluminium wheel rims are machined to optimise the power of the quality V-brakes.
Women's-specific is based on the observation that most women are shorter than men. Our women's-specific frame therefore has a shorter top tube and a taller head tube, which make the handlebars more comfortably reachable for most women.
In other words, a women's-specific bike fits most women better. This is very important because with bicycles, fit is everything - even more than the frame material or the quality of components. If you're overstretched to reach the handlebars, you lean too far forward. If you lean too far forward, the first thing you notice is saddle discomfort. Then pressure on the wrists and back. If the bars are too low, you have to look up to see where you're going. After a while, this becomes a pain in the neck. All these common problems can be cured with a shorter top tube and higher head tube.
Double butted Chromoly.
Deep-section double-wall alloy rims with machined sidewalls.
|Quick release alloy hubs.|
|Stainless steel spokes.|
|Tyres:||Camel CB 588 26x1.9 tyres.|
21-speed Shimano EZ Fire shifters.
Shimano Acera gears.
Suntour CR 210 chainset 22/32/42.
|Shimano 14-28 freewheel.|
|Nylon pedals with rubbery grippers - trainer friendly|
Radius V-brakes with Allen key-fit brake blocks.
Alloy riser bars.
|Adjustable-rise aheadstem w/spacers.|
|Saddle:||Dual fabric anti-compression saddle on alloy suspension seatpost.|
|Extras:||Full-length chromoplastic mudguards.|
18, 20, 22.