The Edinburgh Cadence 3HT enjoys the same upgrades as the unisex Cuillin 3HT - better gears, better wheels and better forks - but the frame remains the same as the Cadence 2HTs. In fact its the same tried-and-tested frame reviewed by WhatMountainBike magazine a few years back.
The majority of bikes designed for women use the open, step-through frame design originally devised over a century ago to allow the wearing of long skirts and dresses. It was never a particularly clever or practical design in engineering terms, compromising on strength, weight and rigidity. But riding standard diamond frames isnt such a great option either. Women tend to be shorter overall than men but with proportionally longer legs and shorter torsos. It can be hard to find a bike that fits properly. The Edinburgh Cadence is a rare and welcome departure from the norm. Using a shorter, lower top tube, it offers a far better fit.... For women seeking a genuine off-roadable bike that fits at a budget price, the Edinburgh Cadence is in a class of one.
Okay, that review was posted in September 2001, but we dont apologise that the frames the same. Why change such a good thing?
Upgrades from the Edinburgh Cadence 2HT:
- The SunTour XC60 fork has 75mm travel over the Cadence 2HTs 50mm.
- 1-piece alloy monocoque lower legs make the fork stiffer and stronger.
- 24 gears over 21. The 11-30 Shimano cassette offers a wider range of gears than the Cuillin 2HTs 14-28 freewheel.
- Alloy handlebars - lighter than the Cadence 2HTs steel bars.
- Gnarlier tyres from Californian MTB gurus, WTB (Wilderness Trail Bikes).
- Better wheels built with stainless steel spokes and a cassette rear hub.
- The cassette rear hub virtually eliminates the risk of a broken rear wheel axle - worth considering if you carry loads. Or if you ride heavily off kerbs. Or cliffs.
Write Your Own Review
SunTour XC60 suspension fork 75mm travel.
Deep-section Vuelta Freeway rims.
|Quick release alloy hubs (freehub rear).|
|Stainless steel spokes.|
|Tyres:||WTB (Wilderness Trail Bikes) Velociraptor 26 x 2.1.|
24-speed Shimano EZ Fire shifters.
Shimano Acera gears.
SunTour XCC300PB chainset 22/32/42.
|Shimano 11-30 cassette.|
|Steel cage pedals - toeclip compatible.|
Tektro V-brakes with Allen key-fit brake blocks. Shimano levers.
Tioga aluminium riser bars.
|Front-loader alloy Aheadstem. Velo 097 Kraton grips.|
|Saddle:||Women's anti-compression gel saddle on alloy seatpost.|