Bell Traverse MIPS Helmet
With its visor, its 18 deep vents and its extended rear coverage, the Bell Traverse MIPS is a mountain bike-style lid that doubles as an all-purpose everyday helmet.
It's also our first ever helmet to be named after a famous Edinburgh theatre.
Most impressive of all, it brings the extra protection of MIPS to a lower price helmet.
Originally reserved for 3-figure lids, MIPS is probably the most significant upgrade in bike helmet technology since the introduction of ErgoDial/RocLoc-style fit belts in 1994.
What is MIPS? Check the video.
- MIPSmeans Multi-directional Impact Protection System.
- MIPS was developed by a team of Swedish brain surgeons and neurologists who tasked themselves with creating a better bicycle helmet dedicated to reducing the rotational acceleration forces to the brain in the event of an angled impact.
- In the capable hands of Bell, MIPS is a super-flexible low friction nylon head-hugging liner, designed to rotate inside the helmet in the event of an impact from any angle.
- MIPS thus helps reduce the resulting rotational energy being transfered to the head - rotational energy that could otherwise cause serious injury to the brain should it violently impact the inside of the skull in the event of a crash.
- MIPS therefore goes a long way to addressing the most frequent criticism of first generation helmets - that they are primarily designed to absorb the energy of a vertical head-on impact, and are less effective at saving you in the event of the type of angled impact, which is more likely to occur.
More Bell Traverse Features
- Bell's in-mould construction process fuses the outer shell with the impact-absorbing EPS liner.
- In-mould construction effectively reinforces the helmet - especially around the vents and ribs.
- 18 long, extra wide vents help prevent overheating.
- A micro-dial on the back of the helmet's ErgoDial fit belt (which wraps round the circumference of your skull) makes it especially easy to achieve a snug comfortable fit.
- Fitted with visor to add extra protection from low hanging branches.
- The visor helps shield your eyes or glasses from rain and glare.
- The visor is removable.
- Unisize: 54-61cm.
- Manufacturer's published weight: 308g.
'Fitness rides, adventure rides, family rides around the neighborhood. With its quality in-mold Polycarbonate Shell construction and easy, approachable style, the new Traverse is an all-around performer that gives you lots of options.
This model offers the addition of MIPS (Multi-Directional Impact Protection System), which can provide an additional measure of protection in certain impacts. The one-size-fits-all ErgoDial Fit System allows for one-handed adjustment—just press a button and turn the dial, simple as that. Totally comfortable, totally cool.'