Whyte Friston 2017
- Whyte redefine the cross/gravel road bike
- SRAM 1x11 endurance road bike
- Hydraulic disc brake all-purpose bike
|Matt Orange/Denim/Black||52cm||£1,499.00||To be Ordered|
|Matt Orange/Denim/Black||54cm||£1,499.00||To be Ordered|
|Matt Orange/Denim/Black||56cm||£1,499.00||To be Ordered|
|Matt Orange/Denim/Black||58cm||£1,499.00||To be Ordered|
Whyte Friston '17
The Friston is Whyte's all-new SRAM 1x11 / tubeless-ready / hydraulic disc brake G-X cross/gravel drop bar lightweight adventure road bike.
- Whyte 6061 custom drawn, hydroformed T6 aluminium frame.
- The frame's DOX (dropout exit) internal cable routing is weather sealed, plus it's easier to work with when you do eventually have to change the cables.
- Being discreet and low-profile, the chainstay's flat disc brake mount looks just right on a road bike.
- Carbon fork - upgrading from a metal to a carbon fork is probably the single most significant upgrade you can make on a road bike.
- As well as being lighter weight, a carbon fork will be vertically more compliant to help smooth the ride and laterally stiffer to help prevent juddering.
- The carbon fork also boasts flat disc brake mounts matched with 15mm through-axle security to minimise the possibility of rotor rub.
- Through axles front and rear - just as mountain bike companies such as RockShox introduced oversized thru-axle dropouts to cope with the twisting forces exerted by a disc brake on a fork's lower legs and dropouts, Whyte have introduced a similar system for their GX bikes.
- The 100x15mm front and the 142x12mm rear thru-axles help ensure perfect wheel retention and alignment and help eradicate the risk of annoying brake rub.
- The SRAM 1x11 drivetrain is the future of simplified wide range gearing - see our blog.
- Better still, the SRAM Rival levers also operate the hydraulic disc brakes. Why you want hydraulic disc brakes.
- WTB Rambler 700 x 40c tyres will convince you that wider tyres can be better. More.
- - especially when the tyres and rims are tubeless ready.
- For all this added technology, Whyte assure us that the Friston will come in at a respectable endurance road bike weight of around 10kg.
- Frame and fork eyelets mean we can set the bike up for you with full mudguards and a rack to make the bike more versatile for commuting and touring.
- For free fitting of anything to a new bike - please ask when you order it.
For all these spec highlights, the most important detail about Whyte bikes is their obsession with frame geometry because it's these angles and measurements that determine where you are positioned between the wheels, and how the bike connects with the ground. More than the components or the frame material, a bike’s geometry defines the way it rides. It's the key factor that sets Whyte apart from the competition.
For their G-X bikes, Whyte have taken the best elements of their celebrated mountain bike geometry and adapted it to road bikes.
Long front centre / shallow head tube angle - pushing the front wheel further in front of the rider at a slacker (70 degree) angle to the frame helps the steering ‘self correct’ so you stay on track on the sketchiest downhills.
Furthermore, its low centre of gravity 'glues' the bike to the ground as you swoop through corners.
Short stem / wide bars / short chain stays - Whyte balance the long reach top tube with a short stem (80 or 90mm depending on frame size) so you're not overstretched. Matching the short stem with extra wide (48cm) bars and a tight rear triangle (415mm chain stays) makes for snappy steering made for dodging traffic and potholes whenever the need arises.
Combining all these factors creates a bike that keeps you perfectly centered and in control - the key to maximising the fun potential and your enjoyment of any bicycle.
'Our G-X bikes are versatility defined. On road, off road or both in the same ride, our uniquely capable, effortlessly comfortable yet efficiently fast Friston and Gisburn bikes set a new standard for any-ride all-rounders.
In fact we’ve pushed the off road boundaries of drop bar bikes so far we’ve had to make our own components such as a 480mm wide bar and 15mm through-axle carbon fork to keep up. That’s because our MTB inspired, relaxed head angle, stretched top tube geometry and even a dropper post as standard on the Gisburn will keep you in control way beyond what most 700c bikes can cope with.
Carefully engineered stays, 40mm tubeless tyres on wide rims (plus the option to fit the latest 27.5in Road Plus wheels and tyres) means exploring your wild side will be endlessly enjoyable, not barely endurable. They’ll still feel fast and efficient when you’re joining dots on the road or navigating city streets not distant hills.
SRAM’s super wide range single ring transmissions and fingertip sensitive hydraulic disc brakes with direct fit 160mm rear rotors for extra power are the perfect component partners to our ultra-versatile design vision. Our unique sealed InterGrip seat post mounts, DOX internal cable and dropper post routing makes them as weather-proof as they are future-proof and means the only limit on what our G-X bikes can do is your imagination.'
|Whyte Friston 2017|
|Frame||6061 Hydro Formed T6 Aluminium, Custom Drawn, Multi Butted, Chainstay Flat Mount 160 Disc mount, DOX cable routing with Inter-Grip integrated seat clamp system|
|Fork||Straight Bladed Carbon Front Fork with Internal Hose Routing, tapered alloy steerer, Flat Mount dropouts and 15mm Through Axle|
|Headset||FSA No. 42 Integrated Road, 1 1/8" upper Sealed Cartridge Bearing, 1.5 lower Sealed Cartridge Bearing|
|Rear Hub||Alloy, Double Sealed Cartridge Bearing Hub, 12mm X 142mm Through Axle, 32 Hole|
|Front Hub||Alloy, Double Sealed Cartridge Bearing Hub, 15mm X 100mm Through Axle, 32 Hole|
|Spokes||WTB 2.0mm, Black Sandvik Stainless with Brass Nipples|
|Rims||WTB Asym i23 TCS, Tubeless Ready, 32 Hole|
|Tyres||WTB Rambler, TCS, DNA Compound, Folding, 700 x 40c|
|Shift Levers||SRAM Rival 1, Full Hydraulic, 11 Speed|
|Rear Mech||SRAM Rival 1, Long Cage, 11 Speed|
|Cassette||SRAM PC-1130 11-42, 11 Speed|
|Chain||SRAM PC-1110, 11 Speed|
|Crankset||SRAM S350, XSYNC 38T chainring, 175mm Crank Length|
|Bottom Bracket||SRAM GXP 68mm|
|Seatpost||Whyte 20mm Offset, 30.9mm x 350mm, 6061 Alloy, 2 Bolt Clamp|
|Saddle||Whyte Custom, Light Weight Triple Density Base, Triple Panel Design|
|Handlebar||Whyte Gravel, 480mm Wide|
|Stem||Whyte -6 Deg, 70mm 52mm, 80mm 54, 90mm 56mm & 58mm|
|Grips||Whyte Anti Slip, Cross Bar Tapes|
|Front Brakes||SRAM Rival 1 Hydraulic, 160mm Rotor|
|Rear Brakes||SRAM Rival 1 Hydraulic, 160mm Rotor|
|Brake Levers||SRAM Rival 1 Hydraulic|
|Manufacturer's Published Weight||10kg (weighed without pedals, reflectors and bell).|
Be aware that cycling equipment specifications can change without notice so please regard our published weights as an honest but approximate guide.
Our suppliers reserve the right to change specifications and prices without notice. Edinburgh Bicycle Cooperative will do all it can to maintain prices and specifications on this web site, however we do reserve the right to change specifications and prices without notice. Similarly, despite the wonders of modern computers, it is realistic to expect the colour of any item bought to differ subtly from the image online.
|No reviews yet||Submit a review|
|No Q & A's yet||Ask a question|