Frog Team SKY 73
|Team SKY Black||£295.00||In Stock|
|Team SKY White||£295.00||In Stock|
Team SKY Frog 73
The Team SKY Frog 73 is the Frog 73dressed up in the colours and livery of Britain's (and arguably, the world's) most high-profile cycling team, Sky.
With its 26 inch wheels, the Team SKY Frog 73 offers an intelligent option for youngsters from around 10-12 years old.
The Team SKY Frog 73 is built on a small frame that takes adult size 26 inch wheels. Everything else being equal, 26 inch-wheels are faster than smaller wheels and they are more capable of rolling over obstacles.
26 inch wheels can also be more convenient. If fellow family members ride 26 inch wheel mountain bikes or hybrids, you can share the same spare tubes and so on when you go out together.
Note that Frog also offer the slightly smaller (69cm stepover height) Team SKY Frog 69bike with 26x.1.5-inch hybrid tyres for taller youngsters. Put it another way, if the Frog 73 is slightly to large for your young 'un, the Frog 69 should be perfect. If you want the bike to fit for as long as possible before it's outgrown, go for the Frog 73. Offering different sizing options - even when the bikes have the same wheel size - is a perfect illustration of the extra care taken by Frog to ensure their bikes fit better than their rivals' who offer their 26-inch wheel youth bikes in just one frame size.
Frog's passion for making better bikes for kids shines through in this video.
Why this bike is great
The Team SKY Frog 73 is a lighter weight 26 inch-wheel kids' bike, intelligently designed to make it easier for youngsters from 12-14 years old to to enjoy cycling to the max.
Like most better-quality adult bikes, Frog bikes are built with aluminium frames and (mostly) aluminium parts to keep the weight to a minimum to help ensure your child has the best possible start to biking.
Sure, more and more companies are making kids' bikes with alloy (rather than heavier steel) frames and alloy wheel rims. This Frog bike stands out for coming equipped with all-aluminium alloy forks, hubs, crankset, V-brakes, brake levers, handlebars, stem and seatpost to keep the bike's weight to a minimum.
Smooth hybrid tyres on QR alloy wheels
The Team SKY Frog 73 comes with quick release aluminium wheels - no need to carry a spanner to fit or remove them. These wheels are shod with good quality Kenda 26 x 1.5 inch hybrid tyres which will be easier rolling than the 26 x 2 inch knobbly mountain bike tyres you'll find on most of their competitors' bikes. Skinnier tyres make a Frog bike easier to get up to speed and hence more fun to ride.
Another example of Frog's original approach: rather than naming their kids' bikes by wheel size, Frog size their bikes by inside leg measurement. Hence the Team SKY Frog 73 is recommended for children with a minimum inside leg measurement of 73cm (29 inches). This corresponds with other manufacturers' 26 inch wheel kids' bikes, so the Team SKY Frog 73 would make a great present for children from around 12-14 years old. It comes with a long aluminium seatpost with a quick release seat binder to make it easy to adjust the saddle as youngster grows. Actually, it might never be outgrown. With its 16-inch frame and its 26-inch tyres this size of bike fits many adults.
- Lightweight aluminium alloy frame (16 inch seat tube) and fork.
- Quick release (no need to carry a spanner to change a tube) aluminium wheels.
- Easy to use high quality Shimano Alivio Rapidfire Plus 8-speed gear shifter and Acera rear derailleur.
- While their competitors make do with entry-level Shimano Tourney gearing on their kids bikes, Frog hybrid bikes come with mid-range Shimano Alivio/Acera, frequently spec'd on £500-£600 adult bikes.
- This single chainring, single shifter, single derailleur Shimano transmission makes it easier for learner riders to change gear.
- The alloy cranks are a child-friendly short (165mm) length with a 36t chainring.
- The sealed bottom bracket ensures these cranks spin smoothly.
- The 52cm wide alloy handlebar is fitted with narrow grips for smaller hands.
- This bar is fitted to a short 40mm alloy stem to keep it within easy reach.
- Tektro alloy V-brakes with alloy Junior levers are such excellent stoppers, they are a common sight on good quality £300-£400 adult bikes.
- Being a British company, Frog know it makes sense to supply their bikes with front and rear clip-on mudguards.
- Minimum recommended inside leg measurement to the floor: 73cm.
- Approximate age range: from 12-14 years old. With its 16-inch frame and its 26-inch tyres this size of bike fits many adults.
- Manufacturer's published weight: 10.6kg.
|Frame||Aluminium 16" Frog 73 Frame|
|Bottom Bracket||116mm Sealed Bottom Bracket|
|Crank Set||165mm Aluminium Black Crank|
|Chain Ring||Steel 36 Teeth|
|Chain Guard||Integral Black Chain Guard|
|Brakes||Tektro 836AL Aluminum V Brake Black|
|Brake Levers||Tektro Aluminium JL510-TS V Brake Lever Black|
|Stem||Frog Bikes Aluminium 80mm Stem|
|Handlebar||Frog Bikes Aluminum Straight Handlebar Width 540mm|
|Grip||Frog Bikes Specific Slim Grips|
|Saddle||Frog Bikes Saddle Size:234*143mm, Black, adjustable rails for better fit|
|Seat Post||Aluminum 27.2 with Quick Release for easy adjustment|
|Pedal||Plastic with Ball Bearings and Reflectors|
|Rim||Aluminium 26" x 1.5" 28 holes Black (Weight:504g) and Quick Release for easy removal of wheels|
|Hubs||Aluminium 28 holes|
|Tyres||Kenda 26" x 1.5" hybrid tyres. (Comes supplied with a second pair of knobbly mountain bike tyres.)|
|Tubes||Kenda 26" x 1.5" with Schrader Valves|
|Right Hand Gear Shifter||Shimano SL-RS35-7R Revo-shifter 7 Speed Black|
|Rear Derailleur||Shimano RD-TY21 Black|
|Free Wheel||Shimano 7 Speed Index 14-28T|
|Mudguard||Plastic Mudguards front and rear|
Our suppliers reserve the right to change specifications and prices without notice. Edinburgh Bicycle Cooperative will do all it can to maintain prices and specifications on this web site, however we do reserve the right to change specifications and prices without notice. Similarly, despite the wonders of modern computers, it is realistic to expect the colour of any item bought to differ subtly from the image online.
|No reviews yet||Submit a review|
|No Q & A's yet||Ask a question|