Specialized Rockhopper Comp '16
- Specialized Rockhopper Comp
- Specialized trail-ready 29er hardtail
- Proven hardtail mountain bike design
|Gloss White/Red/Silver/Black||Small||Now Only £525.00 Was £700.00||In Stock|
Specialized Rockhopper Comp
The Rockhopper Comp is like the Specialized Rockhopper Sport, with a lighter weight SL Aluminium frame, an upgraded drivetrain and a SunTour XCR fork with hydraulic lockout and lighter weight lower legs.
Upgrades over Specialized Rockhopper Sport
- The SunTour XCR fork has lighter weight magnesium lower legs and offers hydraulic lockout to make it a more efficient climber on smooth roads.
- Comes with a simpler, more efficient and higher quality 2x9 transmission featuring a Specialized Stout 36/22 chainset, an 11-36 cassette, Shimano Acera shifters and a Shimano Alivio rear mech.
Same as Specialized Rockhopper Sport
The Specialized Rockhopper range has been one of our mainstay, getting-serious, trail-capable mountain bikes since its introduction over 30 years ago.
The Rockhopper remains a great trail-riding bike because it retains Specialized's legendary stable-yet-agile geometry (72 degree seat tube angle and 71 degree head tube angle), and it comes with an equally trail-worthy spec from its Tektro hydraulic V-brakes to its legendary Ground Control tyres.
One factor that marks out every bike in the 2016 Rockhopper range is that Specialized have stuck with 29 inch tyres.
The Rockhopper therefore offers an alternative to the growing consensus that 27.5/650B tyres are best for most riders.
Having said that, bigger tyres still have their advantages, especially for faster courses and taller riders, and Specialized have to be congratulated for continuing to produce great value 29ers, such as the Rockhopper range.
- The Specialized Rockhopper Sport is renowned for its strong, lightweight, perfectly balanced frame, courtesy of its butted A1 Aluminium tubing and Specialized's signature ORE downtube.
- ORE means Optimized Radius Engineering. This means that the downtube is oversized and the weld area maximised to reinforce this most highly stressed part of the frame (where the down tube meets the top tube and head tube).
- Exclusive Multi-Circuit Damping - Specialized suspension guru Mike McAndrews completely reworked the SunTour fork internals to optimise its compression and damping performance to deliver a ride quality closer to a more expensive fork you'd you'd normally only get on a four-figure mountain bike.
- Size-specific fork travel - the small-sized Rockhopper has an 80mm-travel fork, larger sizes have 100mm-travel forks.
- Tektro Auriga hydraulic disc brakes deliver single-digit modulation - i.e. all it takes is a light squeeze of the lever with a single fingertip to apply each brake - the key to confident control.
- The Shimano Altus Rapidfire 3x9-speed shifters, Acera rear derailleur and the appropriately-named Stout chainset ensure the bike's gear changing is as confidence-inspiring and smooth operating as its hydraulic brakes.
- The double-wall Stout wheel rims come fitted with the 29x2.1 inch version of that legendary Specialized mountain bike tyre, the Ground Control.
- The Specialized Body Geometry saddle and handlebar grips help guarantee comfortable contact points.
Specialized compensate for the longer fork that 29" wheels require by spec'ing a shorter head tube. That way the handlebars on a 17.5" Rockhopper are no higher than they were when the Rockhopper had 26" wheels.
Specialized also compensate for the longer chainstays that a 29" rear wheel requires by curving the seat tube forward where it meets the bottom bracket. That way, the Specialized Rockhopper retains the quick-handling benefits of a tight rear end. These tweaks ensure that the Rockhoppers contact points (the saddle and pedals) will exactly imitate sitting on the same sized 26" wheel Specialized.
Because the Specialized Rockhopper's saddle, bottom bracket and bars exactly replicate their position on a 26" wheeled Specialized MTB, the bike will feel natural and familiar to ride.
Then you get the benefits of a 29er. The bottom bracket is lower in relation to the wheel hubs. This drops the bike's centre of gravity so you sit 'more in the bike'. The bike feels more stable on downhills. The big tyres roll over rocks easier and up hills faster.
When we asked Specialized to quantify these speed gains, they reckoned that you would save 2 minutes if you rode a Rockhopper round a typical hour-long World Cup XC circuit, compared to riding the same route on a 26 inch wheel bike.
'Specialized Rockhopper Sport 29
Maybe you're finding your legs on the singletrack, or perhaps you're just dirt-curious? Either way, the Rockhopper Sport 29 is the only bike you need to live out your trail fantasies. It places a focus on long haul performance, and we're not talking about 100-mile trail rides. Its corrosion-resistant hardware is built to last, while all of the components are purposely selected for their balance of strength and capability. And setting everything over the top is our Trail 29 Geometry that's guaranteed to leave you feeling planted, confident, and efficient out there on the dirt.
- The frame is constructed from A1 Premium Aluminium in order to provide a lightweight, durable platform to support our acclaimed Trail 29 Geometry. Combined, you get a bike that's efficient on climbs and eager on descents.
- Custom SR SunTour XCR-32 29 fork features our Multi-Circuit Damping technology to eliminate any "pogo" effect by delivering 80/100mm (size-specific) of hydraulic damped suspension and rebound that smooth's out rough terrain.
- 29" alloy Stout rims have been laced to our Stout hubs to form wheels that allow you mow over everything in sight, climb gracefully, and get to the bottom of the trail eager for more.
- With reliable traction, puncture-resistance, and sheer speed over the dirt, our 29x2.1" Ground Control Sport tyres will keep you rolling with confidence over almost any terrain.'
|FRAME||Specialized A1 SL Aluminium, Trail 29 Geometry, fully-butted tube sets, ORE down tube, tapered head tube, forged dropouts, disc mount, replaceable derailleur hanger|
|FORK||Custom SR Suntour XCR-32 29, custom Multi-Circuit Damping, coil/MCU spring, S: 80mm travel, M/L/XL: 100mm travel, hydraulic lockout, preload adjust, mag lowers, Hi-Ten 32mm stanchions, tapered steerer, disc mount|
|HEADSET||1-1/8" upper, 1-1/2" lower, threadless, Campy style, cartridge bearings|
|STEM||Specialized Stout, 3D forged alloy, 4-bolt, 6-degree rise, anti-corrosion hardware|
|HANDLEBARS||Specialized Stout, flat bar, double-butted 6061 alloy, 10-degree backsweep, 4-degree upsweep, 31.8mm|
|GRIPS||Specialized Body Geometry XCT, Kraton w/ gel, lock-on, closed end, 132mm|
|FRONT BRAKE||Tektro Auriga, hydraulic disc, resin/metallic pads|
|REAR BRAKE||Tektro Auriga, hydraulic disc, resin/metallic pads|
|BRAKE LEVERS||Tektro Auriga, hydraulic, reach adjust|
|FRONT DERAILLEUR||SRAM X5, 2x10, high mount|
|REAR DERAILLEUR||Shimano Alivio Shadow, 9-speed, SGS cage|
|SHIFT LEVERS||Shimano Acera RapidFire Plus, SL type, 9-speed, w/ optical display|
|CASSETTE||Sunrace, 9-speed, 11-36t|
|CHAIN||KMC X10, 10-speed, w/ reusable MissingLink|
|CRANKSET||Specialized Stout, forged alloy, 2x9, square taper spindle, 36/22T, anti-corrosion hardware|
|BOTTOM BRACKET||Square taper, cartridge bearings|
|PEDALS||Alloy, 1 pc. body, 9/16", w/ reflectors|
|RIMS||Specialized Stout XC 29, disc, alloy, double-wall, pin joint, 26mm inner width, 28/32h|
|FRONT HUB||Specialized Stout XC, Hi Lo disc, alloy, RCC bearing system, QR, 28h|
|REAR HUB||Specialized Stout XC, Hi Lo disc, alloy, RCC bearing system, QR, 32h|
|SPOKES||Stainless, 14g, black|
|FRONT TYRE||Specialized Ground Control Sport, 60TPI, wire bead, 29x2.1"|
|REAR TYRE||Specialized Ground Control Sport, 60TPI, wire bead, 29x2.1"|
|INNER TUBES||Standard, Presta valve|
|SADDLE||Body Geometry mountain, steel rails, 143mm|
|SEATPOST||Alloy, 2-bolt, micro-adjust, 12.5mm offset, 30.9mm, anti-corrosion hardware|
|SEAT BINDER||Alloy, nylon/glass fibre washer, QR, 34.9mm|
Our suppliers reserve the right to change specifications and prices without notice. Edinburgh Bicycle Cooperative will do all it can to maintain prices and specifications on this web site, however we do reserve the right to change specifications and prices without notice. Similarly, despite the wonders of modern computers, it is realistic to expect the colour of any item bought to differ subtly from the image online.
|No reviews yet||Submit a review|
|No Q & A's yet||Ask a question|