Ridgeback Electron Plus '16
- Ridgeback Electron Plus
- Shimano's revolutionary STEPS electric bike technology
- Shimano Alfine hub gear and hydraulic disc brake ebike
|Grey||Large||Our Price £1,899.00 RRP £2,199.00||In Stock|
Ridgeback Electron Plus '16
Like the standard Ridgeback Electron, this bike features Shimano's revolutionary STEPS electric bike technology.
Then it's seriously upgraded with smoother-shifting Shimano Alfine 8-speed hub gears (over Shimano Nexus 7-speed) and Shimano hydraulic disc brakes (over Shimano Alivio V-brakes).
Same as standard Ridgeback Electron
- STEPS stands for Shimano Total Electric Power System.
- STEPS is a totally integrated e-bike drivetrain.
- 'Totally integrated' means that the Drive Unit (that is the motor), the battery, the rear rack, the hub gears, the crankset, the mode switch and the computer are all manufactured by the world's largest bicycle component manufacturer to work seamlessly together
- Centre Drive - the STEPS drive unit is mounted at bottom bracket level to power the crank (in contrast with most e-bikes which are front or rear hub drive).
- Most riders find Centre Drive power assist feels more natural than a hub-drive system.
- With its lower centre of gravity a Centre Drive e-bike feels more stable and balanced than one with hub drive.
- STEPS is an intelligent pedelec system - the Drive Unit kicks in automatically when it senses you could do with assistance.
- A handlebar-mount switch makes it easy to select the level of power assistance required: eco mode (light assist), normal (standard assist), high power (maximum power assist) or walking.
- Shimano have tested their system to offer long-range power assist -
- Up to 125km on eco mode; 85km on normal mode and 60km on high power mode (maximum power assist).
- The STEPS handlebar-mounted computer displays regular cycle computer functions: current speed, average speed, maximum speed, distance and clock.
- More significantly, the computer displays RANGE - that is, a real-time estimation of how many kilometres you can expect the battery to power the Drive Unit in the mode you're riding in.
- Monitoring RANGE reassures you that the battery has enough 'juice' to reach your destination at your selected level of power assist.
- Keeping an eye on your RANGE alerts you when it might be wise to switch from high to normal or eco mode.
- As well as driving the power-assist motor, the battery powers the Ridgeback Electron's front and rear lights.
- The STEPS Drive Unit is a brushless motor - this means no drag, no friction and no resistance whether the power assist is switched on or off.
- Shimano devoted three years intensive research in the development of STEPS.
- With a 2 year warranty to cover any issues with manufacture or materials, you can be confident in STEPS weatherproof reliability.
- The very fact that it's made by the world's largest bicycle component manufacturer inspires confidence.
- For instance, spare parts availability in bicycle shops shouldn't be an issue.
- STEPS employs the same diagnostic software and utilises the same universal e-tube wiring as every Shimano Di2 electric transmission.
- That's significant, because our mechanics in every every Bike Co-op branch have up to five years experience working with Di2 and are already trained in STEPS.
- STEPS is powered by a high capacity 418Wh 36V 11.6A Lithium Ion Shimano battery.
- The Ridgeback Electron's battery is locked (it comes with a key) to a STEPS-specific rear rack.
- When you need to charge it, unlocking/removing the battery only takes seconds.
- Charge time: 4 hours.
- The battery is fit for up to 1,000 recharge cycles.
- A replacement battery will be available for around £320.
Initial test rides confirm the STEPS-equipped Ridgeback Electron to be smooth and quiet in operation, while fulfilling the promise of the best e-bikes. That is, it offers significant assistance whenever cycling gets challenging, such as when you're riding uphill or into a headwind. So much so, you'll find yourself overtaking fitter riders with ease on a Ridgeback Electron. We defy you not to grin every time that happens.
More about the Ridgeback Electron
- Built with a high quality 6061 T6 aluminium frame and fork, the Electron is a versatile hybrid bike - as we have come to expect from Ridgeback.
- Versatile CST e-bike 700x38 tyres are equally fit for road and gravel tracks and boast extra protection against punctures.
Shimano has specialised in cycle components since it was founded almost 100 years ago. Shimano knows bikes. Who better to power your e-bike?
STEPS is a pedelec system which engages when a rider is pedaling and cuts out once 25km/h is reached. The STEPS drive unit has a compact design and with weight of 3.2 kg, it is one of the lightest drive units in the market. The compact and lightweight design improves rider control in all conditions and is easier to handle by a wider range of riders. Talking about range, STEPS has three types of power support modes; eco, normal and high. The preferred mode can be selected by an easy to operate switch. The eco mode has a range up to 125km.
SHIMANO STEPS is a system built around a frame-mounted drive unit. By integrating the drive unit around the bottom bracket area, the weight is positioned low in the frame for easier handling. The essential electronics are incorporated in the drive unit, making for a reliable and weatherproof system. The SHIMANO STEPS system is light weight, has a large capacity lithium-ion battery pack and an intelligent power management system. It will bring you further than ever before. It’s this kind of thinking that sets SHIMANO STEPS apart.'
|Frame||STePS Disc Brake 6061.T6 Alloy|
|Fork||Disc Brake Hi-Ten|
|Chainset||STePS FC-E6000 38T, 170mm|
|Shifter||Shimano Alfine SL-S7000-8|
|Rear Hub||Shimano Alfine SG-S7000-8|
|Brake Lever||Shimano BL-M355 Altus|
|Brake Caliper||Shimano BR-M355 Altus|
|Shift Switch||STePS SW-E6000|
|Drive Unit||STePS DU-E6001 mid drive|
|Battery Unit||STePS BT-E6000, 418Wh capacity (36V, 11.6Ah) rack mount|
|Rack||Racktime STePS specific|
|Front Light||Axa Pico30 for STePS|
|Rear Light||Axa 15.RL rack mounted|
|Front Hub||Shimano HB-RM66|
|Rims||Weinmann U28 Disc 36h|
|Tyres||CST Breaker E-Bike, 700x38C|
|Saddle||Selle Royal Rio Plus|
Our suppliers reserve the right to change specifications and prices without notice. Edinburgh Bicycle Cooperative will do all it can to maintain prices and specifications on this web site, however we do reserve the right to change specifications and prices without notice. Similarly, despite the wonders of modern computers, it is realistic to expect the colour of any item bought to differ subtly from the image online.
|No reviews yet||Submit a review|
|No Q & A's yet||Ask a question|