Giant Defy Advanced 2 2017
- One of the best carbon road bike
- Further refined for 2017
- Now with Shimano hydraulic disc brakes
|Carbon/White||Large||£1,699.00||To be Ordered|
|Carbon/White||Medium Large||£1,699.00||To be Ordered|
|Carbon/White||Medium||£1,699.00||To be Ordered|
|Carbon/White||Small||£1,699.00||To be Ordered|
|Red/Black||Extra Large||£1,699.00||To be Ordered|
Giant Defy Advanced 2 2017
Giant Defy Advanced 2 is one of the world's most advanced carbon road bike frames: Shimano 105 gears and disc brake equipped.
Upgrades for 2017
- Shimano BR-RS505 hydraulic disc brakes. Why this is great - see blog.
- 12mm front and rear thru-axles reinforce the crucial interface between dropouts and wheels to optimise brake performance.
- The redesigned rear triangle's ultra-thin, flattened seatstays reduce road vibration and enhance comfort.
Upgrades from Giant Defy Advanced 3
- Shimano 105 STI 2x11 shifters and mechs.
- Now even smoother shifting, it's easy to understand why Shimano 105 is the world's most popular road bike groupset.
- Giant P-R2 wheels with sealed cartridge bearing hubs and Sapim Race spokes.
Giant Defy Advanced Carbon Composite Frameset
- Every Defy Advanced frameset is fabricated in-house by Giant, starting with performance-grade Toray T-700 raw carbon fibre to create a stiffer, lighter weight and more compliant ride.
- Blending Toray T700 carbon filament and resin with vibration-absorbing particles helps maximise rider comfort and frame strength (hence the lifetime guarantee).
- Modified Monocoque Construction: the front triangle is assembled and moulded as one continuous piece.
- The main frame is then joined to the rear chainstays and seatstays in a secondary process.
- This process eliminates the outermost woven composite sheet to reduce weight without affecting ride quality, strength or stiffness.
- The seatstays are as skinny as you will get - any thinner, the stays would be rods, not tubes.
- These stays don't just lower the frame's weight, they work with the D-fuse composite seatpost to help create the bike's road-buzz-defying magic-carpet ride.
- Fewer holes - for instance, both internally-routed derailleur cables are routed through one hole in the head tube not two. That's significant because holes in carbon frames have to be reinforced, so reducing the number of holes saves weight.
Watch the Giant video: from raw carbon threads to finished machine
Giant D-Fuse Seatpost
The Giant D-shaped carbon composite seatpost works in tandem with the skinny seatstays to do a remarkable job of damping bad vibes that would otherwise be transmitted from unsmooth road surfaces.
Giant Defy Advanced 2 Features
- The Advanced Grade Composite frame delivers an optimal balance of speed, responsiveness and shock absorbing comfort.
- Giant's endurance road geometry with slightly longer head tube and longer wheelbase creates a fast exciting bike that doesn’t ignore your comfort needs.
- Its sportive geometry (72.5 degree head angle / 73 degree seat tube angle and tight rear triangle) means a Giant Defy Advanced never feels flat or dull. It responds like a road bike to your efforts. You pedal: it goes. Yet it's forgiving nature makes a Defy an excellent choice for a 100-mile sportive.
- The lightweight shock-absorbing Advanced Grade Composite carbon fork legs further contribute to the Giant Defy Advanced's responsive, fast-steering, exciting ride.
- The fork's Giant OverDrive Steerer tapers from one and an eighth inch external diameter at the top to inch and a quarter at the crown.
- As well as reinforcing the front end of the bike, oversizing the bottom of the steerer helps eliminate flex-induced brake juddering.
- To ensure an equally comfortable rear end, Giant spec their D-Fuse composite seatpost.
- As well as building their own frames and forks, Giant extrude their own rims to build their own high quality wheels.
- Because it's a disc brake bike, Giant reduce the wall thickness of their rims to reduce the wheel's rotational weight.
- Giant then equip their wheels with their own front and rear specific 700x25 tyres with Flatguard puncture protection.
- Controlling every aspect of designing, engineering and building the wheelset ensures every component works perfectly with its partner to create a more laterally stiff wheel which will take less effort to accelerate faster.
- On the same principle, the tyre fits the rim as though it was made for it - which it was.
- The STI (Shimano Total Integration) gear shifters are integrated with the brake levers so you can change gear any time without having to remove your hands from the brake lever hoods
- The wide-range gearing (34/50 chainrings and 11-32 cassette) makes a Giant Defy Advanced suitable for the type of challenging varied terrain you would typically encounter at a sportive or similar long-distance ride.
'FROM SPORTIVES TO EPIC SOLO RIDES, STAY STRONG FROM START TO FINISH.
SMOOTH, FAST, ENGINEERED FOR ENDURANCE
Handcrafted with lightweight Advanced-grade composite and endurance geometry to minimise fatigue on long rides, this smooth-riding road bike combines speed, confidence and control. Disc-brake technology with 12mm front and rear thru-axles gives you total control in all types of weather. The rear triangle features ultra-thin, flattened seatstays to reduce road vibrations and the D-Fuse seatpost helps smooth out the road. So even on your longest, hardest days, you can stay strong from start to finish.'
|Giant Defy Advanced 2 2017|
|Sizes||S, M, ML, L, XL|
|Frame||Advanced-Grade Composite, Electronic Ready|
|Fork||Advanced-Grade Composite, Hybrid OverDrive Steerer|
|Seatpost||Giant D-Fuse Composite|
|Saddle||Giant Contact Neutral|
|Front Derailleur||Shimano 105|
|Rear Derailleur||Shimano 105|
|Brakes||Shimano BR-RS505 hydraulic disc brakes, 160mm rotors|
|Brake Levers||Shimano ST-RS505|
|Cassette||Shimano 105 11x32|
|Crankset||Shimano 105 34/50|
|Bottom Bracket||Shimano BB-RS500 press fit|
|Rims||Giant PR 2 Disc Wheel Set|
|Hubs||Giant Performance Tracker Road, Sealed Bearing, Front/Rear 12mm Thru-Axle|
|Tyres||Giant P-SL 1, Front and Rear Specific, 700x25mm Fo