Brompton H3R '15
- The H3L is the Brompton with the highest handlebar height
- A perfect folding bike for taller riders
- The Brompton with the most upright riding position
Brompton H3R '15
The H3R is the Brompton to go for if you want a fantastic folding bike with the highest handlebar height.
Brompton bicycles are rightly famed for their exceptionally fast, easy fold, and their trolley bag-like manoeuvrability when folded.
Another Brompton idiosyncrasy is that they are the only bike company that primarily classifies its models by the type of handlebar fitted. Given that nothing determines the feel of a bicycle more than its bar height, this makes sense.
'H' stand for an H-Type Brompton. By locating the handlebar hinge 3cm higher, an H-Type Brompton's handlebar grips are positioned 5.5cm higher than they would be if you rode a Brompton with their standard M-Type bars. The grips of an H-Type bar is 107cm (42 inches) high, compared with the grips of an M-type bar (which are 101.5cm/40 inches above ground level). This 2 inches can make all the difference if you are above average height and/or you suffer back or neck pain on account of riding a bike with bars that are too low for comfort.
'3' refers to the Brompton H3L's sound reliable Sturmey Archer 3-speed gearing.
'R' is Brompton code for coming ready fitted with mudguards and rack.
Finally, the Brompton H3R's longer seatpost makes it suitable for riders with longer legs (up to 35 inches / 89cm inside leg).
Then there are the Brompton constants
- Reliable lightweight high tensile frame and fork.
- Brompton only make their main frames in steel because they believe in its lightweight reliable qualities.
- Crucially, steel tubes can be narrower diameter than aluminium.
- Steel tubing therefore contributes to making a Brompton a neater bike when folded.
- Fold-friendly components.
- The 3-speed hub is a more compact gearing arrangement than a regular derailleur set up.
- Dual pivot brakes protrude less than, say, V-brakes so that's what Brompton spec.
- Nippy, puncture-resistant 16 x 1 3/8" tyres contribute to the Brompton's neat fold.
- It comes supplied with mudguards fitted.
- Most important of all, every Brompton stands out for the ingenuity of the fold, best illustrated by Brompton's own video.
New for 2015
Every 2015 Brompton is coming with a new, simple Saddle Height Insert which automatically resets the seatpin at the correct height whenever the bike is unfolded to ride.
We are proud to offer these unique British-manufactured bicycles at the Bike Co-op because...
- The only bicycles they produce are 16”-wheeled folders. This makes them probably the most specialist bicycle company in the world.
- Every Brompton is hand built in Britain. This makes them (along with Pashley) the only volume bicycle manufacturer in this country.
- Although there have introduced incremental improvements over the years, every Brompton employs the same inspired engineered solutions that company founder and owner, Andrew Ritchie, ingeniously devised in the 1980s.
- That is to produce a bicycle that rides well and which folds faster and neater than any other.
- With practice, a Brompton can be folded and unfolded in 10 seconds. That’s at least twice as fast as the majority of folding bikes.
- When folded, the front wheel guards the drivetrain so the chain can’t touch you.
- This design also guarantees that the bike can’t spontaneously unfold, with the result that carrying a Brompton onto a train, using the bike's frame or saddle as a handle, is as routine and drama-free as carrying a suitcase.
- Because all their bikes are assembled in Britain, Brompton are happy to offer a B-spoke service where they will build the bike to your spec.
- Interested in a singlespeed Brompton, or one with a telescoping seatpost for taller riders, or dynohub lighting, or bags fitted or a 2-tone paint job from a palette of 15 colours? Just ask.
‘What I really like about my Brompton is it is fun to ride, a doddle to fold and it is well made. When I take it on the tram, it folds neat and small, not much bigger than its 16” wheels. When you unfold it, people look in amazement as if you have pulled a rabbit out of a top hat. I am so glad that as a company we have decided to sell such a well-made and well-presented British-made bike that does what it says it can do.’ Alan Knott: Sheffield sales staff.
Sometimes you have to wait for the good things in life
Brompton bicycles are not mass produced. Every one is built to order. This means that if you order a Brompton from us, you might have to wait around 2 months before we can deliver it. As with any edinburghbicycle.com order, we will keep you informed of its progress.
B-spoke Your Brompton.
Rather than making do with the standard specification, you can design your Brompton folding bike to suit your needs. Brompton offer a huge number of economical customisable options from gearing to saddles, tyres to lighting systems and from frame colour to bags. To find out what's on offer, simply download this b-spoke order form. Once you have created your dream spec, forward the order form back to us at firstname.lastname@example.org we will look after your order.
|Gearing||3 spd std ratio|
|Version||Version R (mudguards & rack)|
|Seat height||Extended (33 - 35ins)|
|Saddle type||Brompton saddle|
|Rear suspension||Firm Suspension|
Our suppliers reserve the right to change specifications and prices without notice. Edinburgh Bicycle Cooperative will do all it can to maintain prices and specifications on this web site, however we do reserve the right to change specifications and prices without notice. Similarly, despite the wonders of modern computers, it is realistic to expect the colour of any item bought to differ subtly from the image online.
|No reviews yet||Submit a review|
|No Q & A's yet||Ask a question|